In December 2013, Rockstar Games released a mobile version of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for Android devices. For all intents and purposes, it’s the same game as the one released on PC and consoles back in 2004, but remastered for mobile devices. Unfortunately, in bringing it over to mobile devices, it seems Rockstar has disabled the ability to enter cheat codes. On the PC and console versions, you could simply pause the game and type in the code and unlock the associated cheat; with Android that’s not possible (even when using a keyboard with the phone).
So to get around this, it appears some users have created an alternative app called “CLEO” that works in tandem with the game, allowing you to activate cheats within San Andreas. Before continuing, let me first warn you that we haven’t personally tested this app, though it appears legit based on feedback from several users. It has also only been tested on Android 4.0, 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4. Below is a quick video of CLEO in action with working GTA: San Andreas cheats. If you do decide to download CLEO, feel free to offer your feedback in the comments below.
First, DOWNLOAD CLEO FILES HERE. If you do decide to download CLEO, feel free to offer your feedback in the comments below.
How to install CLEO on your Android device
- Make sure that you have rooted Android device (SU installed)
- Make sure that CLEO supports your GTA, you can check game version in Settings->Apps of your Android device.
- Supported versions are:
- GTA 3 v1.4
- GTA VC v1.0.3
- GTA SA v1.0.0, v1.0.2, v1.0.3
- If you have previous CLEO version installed then you need to open the app, press Uninstall in order to remove CLEO from the game and then delete the app
- Install cleo.apk, if installation isn’t possible then you need to enable Unknown sources in Settings->Security
- Launch installed app and when root request dialog occures grant an access
- Using the app you can Install and Uninstall CLEO from any GTA game individually, before doing this press Check in order to determinate possibility of installation. If install isn’t possbile then probably you have unsupported game version
- If check succeeded then press Install
- If install succeeded then you should try launching the game. In GTA 3 and GTA VC standard “Touch to continue” label should be replaced with CLEO build info, in GTA SA build info should be shown in the text box just right after going ingame
- On some devices after reboot CLEO library (not the app) must be installed again
First of all you should know that a lot of PC CLEO *.cs scripts can’t be launched with CLEO Android because they are using PC opcodes and PC orientated controls. Any PC script must be manually checked and rewritten if needed in order to be used on Android. CLEO Android is using *.csa script extension, you can compile and decompile it with Sanny Builder like PC *.cs scripts, additionaly CLEO Android for GTA San Andreas is using *.csi script type, the only difference between *.csa and *.csi scripts is that *.csa scripts start just after the game loads and *.csi scripts only when user invokes them via ingame script menu, see below for the detailed information regarding script menu.
Once the game app is launched CLEO looks for the scripts in the folder which is one level up from the game saves directory, for example let’s see what folders GTA San Anreas is using on my Android phone, note that it may be different with your device
For me saves are located at:
CLEO scripts and accompanied files must be copied to:
In order to install scripts copy all files from the /scripts/gta**/ folder of this distrib to the directory described above. See bonus page of cleo.pdf with the screenshot of GTA San Andreas folder with installed scripts if you don’t get what and where must be copied.
Lots of CLEO scripts on PC are using keyboard and it’s not a big deal to find some unique key combinatoin which won’t be used by any other script, but when it comes to an input limited by a touchscreen other ways must be used, thats where CLEO script menu takes a place. Note that CLEO script menu is available only for GTA San Andreas and only the *.csi scripts appear in the script menu.
There are two ways of activating script menu:
- hardware menu button press until menu is shown
- touchscreen center slide from top to bottom (from touch point #4 to #6)
Script menu controls description involves touch points, you can read about CLEO touch points in the section below.
In order to select desired script touch center-top (touch point #4) or center-bottom (touch point #6), this will move active row up or down, use center (touch point #5) to start the script, if script is still running then it won’t be launched.
While installing more *.csi scripts menu capacity grows with adding new menu pages when needed, you can switch between menu pages using left-center (touch point #2) and right-center (touch point #8) points.
Menu can be closed by touching any other touch point which is not listed above or using menu button.
Using CLEO Touch Points to activate cheats in San Andreas on Android
CLEO touch points is the CLEO engine implemented touch detection system which can be used via CLEO Android additional opcodes. It divides touchscreen into 9 parts called touch points which can be used to detect timed slides and touches. Depending on your action and the touch point, you can bring up the menu of GTA: San Andreas cheats on Android devices. For the full list of cheats, check out the PDF in the files above.